Name:
Location: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India

The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life is when dreams are surrendered to reality.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Departed

Its been a long while since I wrote anything as I have been relatively busy with a lot of things occupying time. Not that I havent been going on with life, but sometimes you need that lil extra urge to write, and I didnt find it..the times I did... those couldnt be sustained.

Anyways, I need to start once again and I may do so over the next few days...but lemme not go too far. If there is anything written it will be here :)

I saw a few good movies over the past one month, in fact the past three weeks I saw around 10 movies, which is kinda close to the numbers I was used to, before I got married. I dont blame marriage alone...but I have started realizing that there is so lil time we have with us after we are thru with being a dutiful husband, work, social commitments, friends and other obligations, that I wonder if I will ever have sometime to myself. These days, I am stretching my time and it results in me sleeping for only about five hours or less a day...but am not complaining. I have also started reading a bit which is very good too..so on the whole, I should say I am having it neat..

Well, about the movies,

The Departed
A really powerful movie and one of the best movies I have seen so far this year. This is the Martin Scorcese that we have grown up on. It has been said that this is his last movie on the underworld, is so, I must say it he has signed out on a high.

Mob rules Boston. Mob boss is Castello and he has a mole in the Police Department, who is supplying him information about police movements. The Police put a mole within the mob and he works to get information about Castello's nefarious activities. Both the parties realize that they have a rat among themselves and then it is a race to fish him out. There is a love angle too that doesnt seem out of place the way Scorcese has weaved it into the basic strand. This is just the basic strand. Scorcese makes it a complex psychological cat and mouse game with plot twists. The denouement is viscereal, startling and tragic for everyone involved.

Di Caprio, who I have always thought to be a very good actor, turns in one of his best performances as the good cop who infilterates the mob. Mat Damon is equally good as the bad cop and Jack Nicholson is at his best at the ruthless mob boss. Then there is mark Walberg who is at his ascerbic best. He has litle screen time compared to the three main leads but each of the scenes he is in is a delight.

The acting is top nautch, the atmosphere and the pacing is taut and background score is perfect without being obstrusive. The Departed is cops and robbers at its best. A must watch if you love movies.

I shall be writing a bit of my thoughts about Don and Jaaneman in my next post. I was pleasently surprised by both the movies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sunitha Vijayam said...

I'll watch this real soon...It had better be as good as you say it is :)

April 24, 2007 5:18 PM  
Blogger ReadnRyte said...

Sunitha - I am sure you will enjoy it...you have my promise. But like they say movies like food depend so much on teh individual ;)

April 24, 2007 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home